WTC memorial will be open to families on 9/11

By Jennifer Peltz
Associated Press

A crane works above Tower 4 at the World Trade Center site, Tuesday, July 14, 2009 in New York. The 64-story tower, designed by Maki & Associates, is being constructed by developer Larry Silverstein. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)

NEW YORK — Volunteers and Sept. 11 victims' relatives will read the names of the lost together at this year's commemoration, and the families will again be able to pay respects at ground zero even though the site is under construction, officials said Tuesday.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Gov. David Paterson announced that public service would be the theme of the city ceremony marking the terrorist attacks' eighth anniversary.

As it was last year, the remembrance will be in a public plaza next to the 16-acre World Trade Center site. The site itself is now taken over with construction.

But relatives of the more than 2,750 people killed when terrorists crashed hijacked planes into the trade center's twin towers will be allowed to visit the site, officials said.

Many of the family members profoundly value being able to pay tribute to their loved ones in the place where they were killed. But access has become an issue as rebuilding progressed. Continue reading